There are a number of reasons why I decided to take on this project. My first reason has to do with my interest in birds. This began shortly after moving to Victoria ten and a half years ago. With our house backing onto a wooded area, the chirping of birds is a familiar sound all year long. I often glance out the window to see birds of all forms in the yard throughout the day. Frequently I will pull out the Birds of Victoria or Birds of North America reference guides we have on hand. Unfortunately, the drawings in the first aren’t overly helpful for identification and the number of entries in the second is overwhelming. My second reason has to do with a photography course I took a number of years ago. Since that time I have been trying to think of a practical reason to buy a new camera. Taking pictures of birds requires a powerful zoom lens which my previous point-and-shoot camera could not accommodate. Perfect! My final reason was my desire to take on a new project to welcome in 2011. Hence, bird of the day was born.



Saturday, February 5, 2011

Common Merganser

Mergus merganser


Appearance:
Large, diving duck
Red bill, thick at base, elongated and narrow at tip 
Male:
  • White body
  • Green head
  • Gray rump and tail
  • Wings white on the inner half, black on the outer half
Female:
  • Gray body
  • Reddish-brown head with crest
  • White throat

Listen to its call.

For a change of pace, I went looking for birds along Lockside Trail this afternoon and found these ducks swimming in Blenkinsop Lake. I didn't even know there was a Blenkinsop Lake until today, which is odd since I've biked along there a number of times. So, I'm a bit oblivious, what can I say?

Learn more about the Common Merganser.

More photos:

1 comment:

  1. those photos are beautiful - how do you get to Blenkinsop Lake please - Heather

    ReplyDelete