There are a number of reasons why I decided to take on this project. My first reason has to do with my interest in birds. This began shortly after moving to Victoria ten and a half years ago. With our house backing onto a wooded area, the chirping of birds is a familiar sound all year long. I often glance out the window to see birds of all forms in the yard throughout the day. Frequently I will pull out the Birds of Victoria or Birds of North America reference guides we have on hand. Unfortunately, the drawings in the first aren’t overly helpful for identification and the number of entries in the second is overwhelming. My second reason has to do with a photography course I took a number of years ago. Since that time I have been trying to think of a practical reason to buy a new camera. Taking pictures of birds requires a powerful zoom lens which my previous point-and-shoot camera could not accommodate. Perfect! My final reason was my desire to take on a new project to welcome in 2011. Hence, bird of the day was born.



Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bewick's Wren

Thryomanes bewickii


Appearance:
Small bird
Brown upperparts
Whitish underparts
Long tail with white corners
Wings and tail barred with black
White eye-line
Thin, pointed bill, curved downward


Listen to its call.





After yesterday's downpour, it was nice to see the sun this morning. It makes wandering around looking for birds so much more enjoyable. Following a pleasant but uneventful walk around Swan Lake, I sat down on a bench to consider my next potential photo stop. While I was thinking, this little bird landed right at my feet. I don't know whether he was aware of my presence or not but he seemed quite happy to hang about for several minutes, giving me ample opportunity to photograph him.

Learn more about the Bewick's Wren.

Additional photo:
             juvenile


No comments:

Post a Comment