There are a number of reasons why I decided to take on this project. My first reason has to do with my interest in birds. This began shortly after moving to Victoria ten and a half years ago. With our house backing onto a wooded area, the chirping of birds is a familiar sound all year long. I often glance out the window to see birds of all forms in the yard throughout the day. Frequently I will pull out the Birds of Victoria or Birds of North America reference guides we have on hand. Unfortunately, the drawings in the first aren’t overly helpful for identification and the number of entries in the second is overwhelming. My second reason has to do with a photography course I took a number of years ago. Since that time I have been trying to think of a practical reason to buy a new camera. Taking pictures of birds requires a powerful zoom lens which my previous point-and-shoot camera could not accommodate. Perfect! My final reason was my desire to take on a new project to welcome in 2011. Hence, bird of the day was born.



Saturday, March 26, 2011

Esquimalt Lagoon

As you've probably guessed, I've been having a little difficulty finding new birds to photograph lately. So, instead of giving up on my blogging altogether, I've decided to start highlighting some of the good birding locations around Victoria. 

Great Blue Heron

Although I've only been there a few times, I opted to start with Esquimalt Lagoon because of the large number of birds you can see in a relatively small area.

You will find it close to Fort Rodd Park and Fisgard Lighthouse in Colwood. It is a migratory bird sanctuary that is frequented by a variety of gulls,ducks, swans, herons and much more. 
  


Male Common Goldeneye
  
Family of Mute Swans


Learn more about Esquimalt Lagoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment