There are a number of reasons why I decided to take on this project. My first reason has to do with my interest in birds. This began shortly after moving to Victoria ten and a half years ago. With our house backing onto a wooded area, the chirping of birds is a familiar sound all year long. I often glance out the window to see birds of all forms in the yard throughout the day. Frequently I will pull out the Birds of Victoria or Birds of North America reference guides we have on hand. Unfortunately, the drawings in the first aren’t overly helpful for identification and the number of entries in the second is overwhelming. My second reason has to do with a photography course I took a number of years ago. Since that time I have been trying to think of a practical reason to buy a new camera. Taking pictures of birds requires a powerful zoom lens which my previous point-and-shoot camera could not accommodate. Perfect! My final reason was my desire to take on a new project to welcome in 2011. Hence, bird of the day was born.



Thursday, March 3, 2011

Canvasback

Aythya valisineria

Appearance:

female (left) /male (right)
Large diving duck
"Ski-jump" profile
Male:
    Chestnut head
    Black bill
    Black chest
    Whitish back
     Black rump
     Red eyes
Female:
    Pale tan head and neck
    Dark bill  
    Grayish body

Listen to its call.

Recently, I joined my husband on his run around Elk Lake. Oh sorry .... that sounds a bit misleading. To be more exact, I went with my husband to Elk Lake where I took pictures of ducks while he ran around the lake. I do have my priorities, you know. Unfortunately, this pair of ducks never came close enough to the shore for me to get a better picture than this one. At least it gives you a sense of their colouring and unique profile. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't show the wave-like pattern on the male's back and sides, which supposedly resembles canvas fabric (hence the name).

Learn more about the Canvasback.

No comments:

Post a Comment