There are a number of reasons why I decided to take on this project. My first reason has to do with my interest in birds. This began shortly after moving to Victoria ten and a half years ago. With our house backing onto a wooded area, the chirping of birds is a familiar sound all year long. I often glance out the window to see birds of all forms in the yard throughout the day. Frequently I will pull out the Birds of Victoria or Birds of North America reference guides we have on hand. Unfortunately, the drawings in the first aren’t overly helpful for identification and the number of entries in the second is overwhelming. My second reason has to do with a photography course I took a number of years ago. Since that time I have been trying to think of a practical reason to buy a new camera. Taking pictures of birds requires a powerful zoom lens which my previous point-and-shoot camera could not accommodate. Perfect! My final reason was my desire to take on a new project to welcome in 2011. Hence, bird of the day was born.



Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Regulus satrapa

Appearance:
Tiny songbird
Short, notched tail
Thin, black bill
Olive-grey above
Greyish-white below
Two white wing-bars
Dark flight feathers with golden edging
Broad, white eyebrow
Black-striped crown
Yellow crown center (female)
Orange crown center (male)
Black legs
Yellow feet

Listen to its call.

This "little king" was foraging in the evergreen trees across from the nursery in the Martindale area this afternoon. Although it was hard to follow its rapid movements in the dense growth, at least it remained low in the trees which made photographing it easier than has been my experience with past sightings of these birds.

This bird had the oddest feet; at least they struck me that way. The black legs ended abruptly in bright, yellowish-orange feet. It reminded me of a repair my husband made to the arm of his sunglasses a number of years ago. Maybe they've been using the same plastic-coated paint.

Learn more about the Golden-crowned Kinglet

Additional photos:
juvenile female

juvenile male





No comments:

Post a Comment