There are a number of reasons why I decided to take on this project. My first reason has to do with my interest in birds. This began shortly after moving to Victoria ten and a half years ago. With our house backing onto a wooded area, the chirping of birds is a familiar sound all year long. I often glance out the window to see birds of all forms in the yard throughout the day. Frequently I will pull out the Birds of Victoria or Birds of North America reference guides we have on hand. Unfortunately, the drawings in the first aren’t overly helpful for identification and the number of entries in the second is overwhelming. My second reason has to do with a photography course I took a number of years ago. Since that time I have been trying to think of a practical reason to buy a new camera. Taking pictures of birds requires a powerful zoom lens which my previous point-and-shoot camera could not accommodate. Perfect! My final reason was my desire to take on a new project to welcome in 2011. Hence, bird of the day was born.



Thursday, August 18, 2011

Empidonax Flycatcher



Appearance:
Small bird
Olive-gray upperparts
Yellowish-white underparts
Two pale wing-bars
White eye-ring










There are between eleven and fifteen different species of Empidonax Flycatchers (depending on which book you read), five of which are found in Victoria. They all look very much alike; apparently they are best identified by their voice. Unfortunately, not being up on my Flycatcher knowledge, I wasn't paying much attention to this bird's song while chasing it around with my camera. So, to be on the safe side, I'm going to following the recommendation of Kenn Kaufman and just call it an Empid.

Learn more about Empidonax Flycatchers.

1 comment:

  1. Well, since no one else has commented here:
    1) not "western", alder, willow or least based on bill width. Too narrow and dark
    2) Not any eastern empid based on low contrast wing panel

    That leaves Gray, Hammond's or Dusky. I'd say Dusky, but that's just a general impression. Not gray enough / colorless for gray. Not crested enough for Hammonds. Medium primary extension and medium/long tail good for Dusky.

    All that said, the bird is probably not conclusively identifiable ... not by me, anyway.

    ReplyDelete