There are a number of reasons why I decided to take on this project. My first reason has to do with my interest in birds. This began shortly after moving to Victoria ten and a half years ago. With our house backing onto a wooded area, the chirping of birds is a familiar sound all year long. I often glance out the window to see birds of all forms in the yard throughout the day. Frequently I will pull out the Birds of Victoria or Birds of North America reference guides we have on hand. Unfortunately, the drawings in the first aren’t overly helpful for identification and the number of entries in the second is overwhelming. My second reason has to do with a photography course I took a number of years ago. Since that time I have been trying to think of a practical reason to buy a new camera. Taking pictures of birds requires a powerful zoom lens which my previous point-and-shoot camera could not accommodate. Perfect! My final reason was my desire to take on a new project to welcome in 2011. Hence, bird of the day was born.



Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hutton's Vireo

Vireo buttoni 

Appearance:
Small songbird
Green-grey upperparts
Buff to yellow underparts
White wing-bars
White eye-ring, broken at top
Dark eye
Short, thick bill
Bluish-grey legs and feet

Listen to its call.

Summer having finally arrived, I have been enjoying lazy afternoons this week lying in the hammock in our backyard. In the shade of a couple of fruit trees with a good book in hand is where you will find me most days. Every once in a while a deer or rabbit will wander into the yard or a couple of squirrels chasing each other will intrude upon my solitude, but it is the birds that are the most disruptive. Flocks of Chickadees and Bushtits will frequently invade the trees above me, knocking small bits of debris onto my head. 

Yesterday, I noticed this little bird perched on the branch above me. I was able to determine it was a vireo but the fact that it is a juvenile (it seems it's just molting into a recognizable plumage) made further identification difficult. So, as is frequently the case, I consulted an expert for assistance and, as usual, she came through for me. Thanks Ann. 

Learn more about the Hutton's Vireo.

No comments:

Post a Comment